In 1947, Fiat expanded the 1100 range with an original, sleek and sporty berlinetta with sophisticated mechanicals, of which just a few hundred were built. The rare car - belonging to the FCA Heritage Collection - is on show at the Fiat Historic Centre.
The Fiat 1100 S was designed by Dante Giacosa at the end of the Second World War, with inspiration from the pre-War 508 C Mille Miglia. It had an aerodynamically contoured body without bumpers and featured fender skirts covering the rear wheels. The tail section was tapered, but the standout feature was the nose, including a grille divided into three distinctive parts with chrome bars arranged horizontally at the sides and vertically in the centre, creating sequences of parallel and transverse lines that would become the hallmark of the 1100 S.
If the design hinted at the car’s racing potential, the mechanicals removed all doubt. To cope with the considerable power increase, the 1089 cc four-cylinder engine was fitted with an oil radiator and a centrifugal water pump. The camshaft was gear-driven. The result was a remarkable output of 51 hp at 5200 rpm and a dry weight of 825 kg that combined to propel the Fiat 1100 S to a top speed of 150 km/h.